Every journey in life always starts with a step in the right direction. Until you make the first move, the journey can’t even begin, which is why it makes this such an important point. Waiting for the perfect moment is a big mistake as there will never be the ideal time to start; there’ll always be distractions or potential barriers to your success. This is totally true about making improvements to your health, weight loss, becoming fitter or eating healthier.
All the talking and planning in the world won’t get you to where you want to be until you take that first vital step. I’ve compiled my best top 5 tips for getting started on a journey to a healthier and happier you.
Top 5 Tips For Starting Anything…
1. Make A Commitment – Commit with a friend to do something together. You’re either going to join a weight loss club, start a new fitness class, go out walking, running, swimming, anything – just arrange it with somebody else so you have no choice but to do it. You’ll get peer pressure to follow through with your plans along with moral support and motivation when you need it the most.
2. Make a Start – One of the best motivational techniques that I’ve heard for making yourself do something that you really don’t want to is simply to make a start. It doesn’t matter how much you do, in fact start with the intention of only doing a small portion of the task and allow yourself the excuse to stop whenever you like. The upshot of this is two things – you’ve made a start which is brilliant, you’ve taken that first step and when it comes down to it, you’ll likely do more than you planned on doing in the first place.
3. Start off Easily – Perhaps one of my own personal favourite tips is whenever you’ve had a break from anything or are starting something new, especially in terms of exercise, always start well below your ability levels. Make it comfortable that you almost feel like you’re wasting your time doing it. When you do something that isn’t very challenging, yet still feels like you’ve achieved something, it’s always far easier to do it next time because it won’t seem daunting at all!
4. Be Prepared – Plan whatever you’re doing the same way you would a holiday. Do a short week diary to include the exercise and activities you’ll do and all of the foods you’ll eat.
5. Allow Yourself to Fail – Yes, you read that right! Allow yourself to make mistakes, so that when things don’t go exactly the way you planned, it doesn’t spell disaster. Because the reality is it won’t always go smoothly; there will be road blocks and obstacles for you to navigate around.
You always have the choice to find a way around problems or to simply give up. Those in life who get what they want always find a way to achieve their goals and dreams, but it’s rarely easy. To the outsider looking in it may seem that way, but there are always compromises to be made. It just depends on how much you want it and what you’re willing to give up in order to achieve it.
To your health and fitness